Monday, February 06, 2006

 
(not so) Super Bowl Meal

Hello Friends-

Well, I had planned and expected to create a few new dishes from The Silver Spoon cookbook but found that I had a ton of food in the pantry that needed to be eaten from a past recipe. Has that ever happened to you? How does one eat fabulously everyday? I had some tired old yams, chicken breast that was about to expire and Xmas chocolates that sat on my counter and they all begged to be cooked or thrown out. As we all do, I hate to waste food and feel that I can satisfy my cooking cravings by improvising. In addition, the hubbie wanted the traditional wings for the Super Bowl munchies. What was a girl to do?

The magazines and cookbooks we Foodie people all buy (Eating Well, The Silver Spoon, Martha, Gourmet, etc.) depict wonderful fantasies of ease and abundance in creating food that is delicious and refine. So, while I also want to eat fabulous and most Divas generally do, what am I to do with leftover food products that do not go together? One day, I would love to have my entire cookbook collection online where I could cross-reference them and ingredients with a few mouse clicks. However, until then I have to settle with using my imagination and trying to satisfy the needs of my young family.

The hubbie, sliced the chicken breast into strips and fried them up in a bottle hot wings type of sauce. The end result was tasty and satisfying but not something that I would buy again in the future. Perhaps, I should start listing those products that should NOT be on a cooking diva’s list. In any case, the yams were made at my direction into a healthlier version of the southern dish of yams with brown sugar and cinnamon. Two Super Bowl munchy dishes with admitting very little appeal. However, what was the standout was our dessert. Remember that Xmas candy? I found a great recipe in my Cooking Thin recipe book from Kathleen Daelemans.

Now, let me add here that I cannot stand all of the millions of diet cookbooks out on the market. America is the only country that thinks it can lose weight by eating more of something (Carb diet, grapefruit diet, Slim-Fast diet, etc.) without limiting the quantity not the quality of the food. Hence, this blog where I dedicate my food addiction to eating better and enjoying the eating/cooking experience. With that said, Cooking Thin is the only “diet” type of cookbook in my collection. I think Daelemans got the concept of enjoying what you cook and eat without limiting or having a food no-no list. After all, how many people do you know that are always dieting and never seem to lose a pound? --Typical American approach is to over consume.

From the Cooking Thin, I made the Popcorn Balls with Chocolate (chips) . The recipe is basic, melt butter with mini-marshmallows, pour mixture over popcorn then toss in chocolate (old Xmas candy!) and shape into balls. I added my own twist of grated coconut (un-toasted – probably would have been even better had I toasted the coconut ahead of time) and a little corn syrup and vanilla as I was light on the mini-marshmallows. All very easy and extremely addictive! I am always amazed at how much effort I go through while attempting to complete an exotic recipe. While, the simplest of recipes such as these popcorn balls/clusters so yummy and easy to create.

I made a whole batch of these popcorn balls which were all gobbled down between the hubbie and me by half-time.

Cheers to us.

What are you tasting,
Edna

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?